Time is so important that you don’t want to waste it just for unnecessary and not so productive things. Like when you are a student, you have loads to do other than those books assigned for you to read—imagine how much time you would save if you could read in double time, and not just read but understand each and every content of the statement you will come across.
So here are helpful tips that will be rendered to you for a better speed reading experience. As we all know that lots of people succeed by reading a lot, because reading is the major key in learning. Speed reading will allow you to learn a bunch in just a short amount of time. Giving you an edge form anybody.
Practicing your speed reading skill may better require you a large and hard covered book, a book that is laid flat so that words in the middle will not mumble with each other. You may also need a recording tool or even just tally the time duration you are able to read the entire paragraph or page.
When all materials are set, you may now prepare yourself first by discovering the base speed of your reading ability. Here’s how you can do this.
- Count the numbers of the words like for example for 10 lines, then you may divide the total number of words into 10, making you know the average. Now, set the time that you aim for you to finish reading it all. Now, you may measure your base speed through reading from your starting point to the finish line through reading on your normal speed within the time you allotted.
- Next tip, is for you to avoid doing the sub vocals that is a factor of delaying your reading speed. If you notice a little voice inside of your mind that reads along with your eyes, try to eliminate them by not focusing to what you hear, it’s speed reading, and it’s all about reading. Practice to read concepts without the urge to say it.
- Then, it’s time for you to use tools such as the pointer, this will prevent your eyes from wandering, this will make you focus in the line that you are reading that will make you do it a lot faster.
- One of the best tips is for you to practice using your peripheral vision while reading, for this will make you read per line and not per word. Our mind has the natural capacity of understanding statements without reading the whole content.
- After doing all the tips mentioned above, it is the time for you to take calculations of the total words you have read.
Last thing for you to bear in mind for you to totally maximize your speed in reading is for you to eliminate all potential distractions. Try to develop focus and discipline.